Sunday, May 2, 2010

Summer Box Office: Nightmare Edition

The race has begun, with John’s seventh selection – the reboot of “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” starring Jackie Earle Haley – topping the domestic box office in its first weekend with a three-day gross of $32.2 million, according to estimates from Box Office Mojo.

My hopes for victory took a blow last week, as Universal Pictures unkindly moved “The Adjustment Bureau” – starring Matt Damon and, more importantly, my sixth pick – out of the summer and into September, leaving me with only seven films. So, I’ll have to win this with one hand tied behind my back.

Next week brings the wide release of John’s first selection and the odds-on favorite for highest-grossing movie of the summer, “Iron Man 2.” His eighth pick, “Letters to Juliet,” also gets a sneak peek on Sunday.

Here are the totals through May 2:

John (one film): $32.2 million
Dave (N/A): N/A
Robert (N/A): N/A
Stu (N/A): N/A